For those who are in the SOuth, they often say that one of the best things about Christmas is the food that is found during this time. These are often huge feasts that are meant to feed the entire family and are super-rich and yummy! While they may not be the healthiest thing out there, there is no denying that this Christmas dinner is a Southern tradition that continues to be popular today.
For those who are wanting to do their own Southern feast, they are going to find that there are several dishes that are a part of this. Here is a list of just some of the food items that are found on tables during Christmas dinner:
- Ham, for those families who want a huge selection when it comes to the meat that is available
- Mashed potatoes
- Sweet potatoes with marshmallows and tons of brown sugar
- Deviled eggs
- Macaroni and cheese
- Green beans that have been cooked with country ham
- Rolls or biscuits
- Gravy for the mashed potatoes
- Fruit salad
- Pecan pie
- Cranberry sauce
- Cakes, cookies and other pies
And of course, you will have the staple of sweet tea to drink!
As you can see, a southern Christmas dinner is all about the comfort foods that you have come to love and know as being truly southern. For those who are ready to start planning their Christmas dinner, here are a few tips to help you ensure that this is tasty!
- Starting planning early. This is not a meal that is going to plan itself just a few days before.
- Be sure to buy your ingredients and items a few weeks before you need them. These are popular options during Christmas, and it is not uncommon for stores to sell out of these!
- Divide some of the food options with those who will be attending. This type of list is almost impossible for one person to make on their own!
- Plan for any dietary restrictions such as those who cannot use real milk or the like. You can make adjustments to the ingredients to find substitutions that are better for those with allergies or dietary restrictions.
For those who will be planning their Christmas dinner, a Southern theme is one that is sure to let everyone find some dish that they love. The key is to start planning early and enjoy doing this. Those who live in the South often state the food tastes so good because those who prepare it were preparing this with love.
Follow along with our blog here
Read all about Christmas Crafts here